The Old River Bridge in Columbus, Mississippi

March 1, 2011 by
Filed under: Ben, Mississippi, Travel

Since I am from Columbus, it is easy to forget how nice it can be sometimes.  On Saturday, Ben and I had a fun little afternoon in Columbus.   We started off by going to Palmer Home Thrift Store, which is by far my favorite local thrift store.  Next I took Ben to see the Tombigbee  River and the old river bridge downtown.  In high school,  some nights we would climb over the walls that blocked off the entrance to the bridge and walk around on the old bridge like rebels.  Now the bridge is open for all to enjoy, or at least it seems that way since the entrance isn’t blocked off anymore.  I am not sure what it is about growing up in a small town that makes you want to climb on things like old bridges or water towers but I like it.

Me walking on the old Columbus bridgeEven with all of the rust and decay, the old bridge is a lot cooler than the new one.

The Riverwalk in Columbus, MS

Columbus has even added a 1.25 mile walking trail, benches and pavilions to Riverside Park.

old river bridge in Columbus, Mississippi

Me on the old bridge in Columbus, Mississippi

Ben on the old river bridge in Columbus, MS

View of the Tombigbee River from the old bridge in Columbus, MS

View of the Tombigbee River from the old river bridge

Ivy growing on the tressels of the old bridge in Columbus, MS

Ivy growing on the trusses of the bridge

After leaving The Riverwalk, we decided to try the  new Thai place in Columbus, Bann Thai.   Do yourself a favor and try it out.  I had hot and sour soup and pad thai.  Both were amazing.

by Selena Faye

Be Sociable, Share!
Pin It

Comments

9 Comments on The Old River Bridge in Columbus, Mississippi

1. Val
    on Tue, Mar 1st 2011 @ 8:13 pm

I loved spending time at this bridge, and crossing it to go to the little landing on the other side.

By far one of my favorite places in Columbus!

• Faye
      on Tue, Mar 1st 2011 @ 11:59 pm

Me too!

2. kt
    on Thu, Mar 3rd 2011 @ 9:23 am

Great pictures!!!

3. KMK
    on Fri, Mar 11th 2011 @ 11:50 am

Oh memories!! Now if they only make the water tower open to all;)
    Nice color/composition in the photography as well.

• Faye
      on Fri, Mar 11th 2011 @ 11:58 am

I know right! Oh and thanks Ben actually took those with the Hipstamatic app on his iphone.

4. james ferguson
    on Sat, Mar 24th 2012 @ 10:57 am

In the summer of 1951, during low water, I accidentally ran my motorboat over the iron cofferdam that surrounded the main concrete pillor. It flipped my little boat over, tossing me into the river. It first appeared that the outboard motor had been knocked off of the transom, I later discovered while trying to pull the boat ashore, that the motor was still hanging on the steering cables.

I wasn’t injured and the motor was back up running by the next day.

A few years earlier, my brother dove off the bridge into the river. (Bad idea.)

In the 1950′ s there was a great hamburger joint just across the bridge to the West called Bob’s place.

Lot’s of memories for me about that bridge and the river.

Jim Ferguson, Lee High School, 1953.

• Faye
      on Mon, Mar 26th 2012 @ 8:16 am

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing about the old bridge.

5. Vic
    on Mon, Jan 13th 2014 @ 2:32 pm

Used to be an old swing near there with a high platform to swing off of. Man that was the place to be from Mar to nov if you lived in Columbus. Spent many many days there partying with friends.

• Faye
      on Mon, Jan 13th 2014 @ 2:57 pm

I never saw the old swing but that sounds really fun!

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!