Garden Update

May 26, 2010 by
Filed under: Being Green, Our Garden

It seems like so much is happening in our garden these days.  We don’t have tomatoes yet but I am proud of our little garden’s progress.

Sunflowers 5.20.10

These little guys are getting bigger!

Squash Blossoms 5.20.10

Who knew that squash have such pretty flowers?

Okay and the next update isn’t so much a garden update as it is a front flower bed update.  When we first moved in,  I was thrilled that we had Azaleas or what I thought were azaleas.  After a couple of months,  I decided that they were not “thriving” in their location and pulled them up.  I am what you could call an impatient gardener.  In retrospect I realize that I should have just moved them instead of declaring them unfit and throwing them away.   In their place, we planted gardenias.  I love gardenias.  They smell so wonderful!  I was starting to get sad about my gardenias about a month ago until a couple of people reassured me that it wasn’t time for them to bloom yet.  So I have been watering them every other day, fertilizing them, telling them how much I love them and waiting.

Side note:  My husband and I are new homeowners.  We have never planted our own flowers, bushes, vegetables or anything that didn’t fit into a pot or a container.  Every time something new blooms whether wildflower or not, I feel like it is my birthday.  I have waited my whole life to have my very own yard and I am loving this process.  So if I seem way too excited about my flowers or my garden, it is because I am.

Back to my point, Monday my first gardenia bloomed!

my first gardenia 5.24.10
by Selena Faye

Be Sociable, Share!
Pin It

You Might Also Like These Posts:

Comments

6 Comments on Garden Update

1. kt
    on Wed, May 26th 2010 @ 11:11 am

fun fun!!!

2. Angie
    on Wed, May 26th 2010 @ 11:21 am

Selena, I am just cracking up because I am exactly the same way about our potted garden this year (my first) and talk wistfully almost daily it seems about getting our own house and planting flowers (and veggies, etc.) in our own yard!!!

I thought about doing some sunflowers anyway, though… How long ago did you plant your’s and how much maintenance have they been?

• Faye
      on Wed, May 26th 2010 @ 11:25 am

We planted ours about a month ago from seedlings that my neighbor gave us. So far we have only had to water and fertilize them. So not too bad, but they probably won’t bloom until the end of the summer. Oh and if you want a Spider Plant, I have one with your name on it.

3. hattie
    on Sat, May 29th 2010 @ 10:04 am

That’s awesome, Selena! I want gardenias. Are they hard to grow?

• Faye
      on Tue, Jun 1st 2010 @ 10:20 am

They are not too hard to grow but sometimes there leaves turn yellow and we recently had to spray some eco-friendly bug/soap spray on them. But overall, if I can grow them anyone can.

4. Oh did I mention, We have Sunflowers! | Faye Dodges Zombies
    on Wed, Oct 27th 2010 @ 1:14 pm

[…] them as seedlings here, a little bigger here and with tiny buds here. Share and […]

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!